Saturday, October 27, 2012

Freshly Baked

When I bought The Muffinz debut album "Have You Heard?" it was for one song only; "Soundcheck".

For the past 3 months that would be the song I would put on repeat. I was barely interested in any of the other tracks. They were pleasant enough but I gave them very little of my attention- until tonight...

I like listening to music when I'm emmersed in something else. I pick up on much more of its beauty that way. So tonight,as I watched my wall change colour, I fell in love with all The Muffinz. The pretty harmonies in "Come With Me", the funky rift in "Soldierz" that makes my fingers tingle for my own guitar and the emotional ramblings of the Keke Lingo which still has me wondering what is being sung despite knowing that there is no translation. Not to mention the Shona verse in "Khumbul 'Ekhaya" ( at least I can learn the meaning of this beautiful melody) I could go on and on and on but you get the idea :)

All I can say about this album is that it's getting increasingly harder to  put any of these songs on repeat. From the rocky guitar rift mixed with skatting in "Have you Heard?"  to "The Next Super Man" that begs your hips to jazz, right up to the soothing sounds of "Umsebenzi Wendoda" each song that ends promises the beginning of a new song with new aspects that will captivate you.

No comments:

Post a Comment