Monday, December 17, 2012

Here's to the Parking Lot Pies

Well this past weekend was certainly not planned, but in many ways it was perfect.

By this time of the year, I'm usually home for the holidays with my family but because of family I had to wait and in the end, plans failed and I had to find my own way home. I ran the risk of a weekend spent idling. Fate would not have that!

Friday night was spent watching one of my favorite bands play. We received VIP treatment from the friendly and somewhat suspect drummer who bought us our first round of drinks, engaged us in amusing conversation and dragged us to the band's corner where we danced to some funky beats while eagerly awaiting The Fridge's performance.  When they finally came on, I was so close to the lead singer, I could carefully analyse the beads of sweat pouring down his face and breathe in what he breathed out. If you are afraid of small spaces, this little bar in the heart of Joburg's CBD is not for you!

Saturday, thanks to my bonus coming in, was spent in a shopping mall full of christmas shoppers - my least favorite pass time. Due to several oversights, we ended up in the mall parking lot gobbling down pies and waiting for the summer storm to die down so we could drive home without getting soaked. While the girls made dinner, the boys tackled the bits of wood they sell you under the guise of a TV stand. I don't know how we ate our dinner, we were so bushed.

Sunday was church, which was followed by a surprise lunch with a friend. We went to the same shopping mall as the one our pastor and pretty much the whole church just happened to go to after the service. Need I elaborate on the curious looks we got from them as they passed us by while we innocently dined together? We  have a bit of a cupid in all of us!

Today was a public holiday and in the name of December, we got in the car and drove to Pretoria where we briefly reminisced about varsity days gone by and for some quality time with friends and family. Nothing wild but a day well spent!

This weekend has taught me two things; a) I NEED a car! b) Spontineity is the key to a time well spent! It's often best to throw caution to the wind and let the chips fall where they may. This is how great stories come about.

No comments:

Post a Comment