Monday, July 19, 2010

Lazy Sunday Afternoon

I have developed a Sunday afternoon ritual which I'm really  enjoying. Every Sunday, when I get back from church and  lunch and dishes are out of the way, I grab my sleeping bag turned throw blanket, lie on the couch in front of the TV,  and choose a channel that will provide the best background snooze noise. Yesterday, a rerun of  a number of "Late Night with David Letterman" episodes won the  channel contest! I enjoy this show though Letterman can be a bit arrogant. Sometimes his show is monotone enough to sing me to sleep (but then again when you're used to the Ellen show, any other talk show puts you to sleep!)

Before I drifted off to sleep, I caught an interview David did with Miley Cyrus. During their dialogue, I kept thinking to myself, "Myself, this kid is soooo annoying!" I was this close to changing the channel! This wasn't the first time I had watched an interview with her and it's not the first time  this thought has crossed my mind during these interviews. It was, however, the first time I asked myself why it is that I dislike her so. That's when it hit me!

When Ellen is introducing kids that are doing amazing things at their ages, she always says something like,      " When I was that age, I made friends with mud." ( isn't she funny?!) Kids these days seem to have life figured out at a crazy young age. At 17, Mliley  appears  to have the career that she wants and all these life changing  things  figured out while I, at 25, am nowhere near where I thought I'd be back when I was 17. That's why she annoys me, I think. I think I envy people who are exactly where they want to be doing exactly what they want to be doing, because I am no where near there. It makes me wonder what it is that they're doing right, because I could use some pointers.

Yes, I know that celebrities try to maintain a perfect front for the public eye and we should not believe everything we watch on television. I also know that it is  very possible that I was high on sleep when this thought process began, but I do think that grown ups have a thing or 2 to learn  from this generation of inovative little-people-doing-big-things. They might be on to something.......

No comments:

Post a Comment